Випуск журналу: №6 2017р.
Martha Slowly Shimuleni,
The article highlights the link between regional integration and the development of economically backward countries in Africa, focusing on the SADC region. It emphasizes the importance of continuous and rapid regional integration in comparison with the individualism of the South African countries, especially with regard to regional associations such as SADC, which development is closely linked. The essence of the information policy characteristic to African countries is disclosed, as well as the main bodies and Protocols regulating information security and policy of states within SADC are described. The article is aimed at highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of regional integration. The main problem is to balance it with individual development within a country or group of countries. The researchers analyzed the importance of regional integration, as well as the implications it has for the SADC region, and thus proved that SADC is better if it is a regionally integrated association, rather than when countries operate separately.
Key words: regional integration, information policy, socio-economic development, globalization, countries of Africa, SADC.
Sources and Literature
- McCarthy, (1995), Regional Integration in Africa, Journal of Political science. – URL : http://www.FAO.org.
- Technical Corporation Department, (2017).Regional integration and food security in developing countries. – URL : http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/y4793e/y4793e0a.htm.
- Osterkamp, R. (2008), Measuring regional trade integration in Southern Africa [. – URL : http://www.kas.de/wf/doc/kas_16110-1522-1-30.pdf?110125181323.
- Bösl, A., Breytenbach, W., Hartzenberg, T., McCarthy, C. and Schade, K. (2007), Monitoring the process of regional integration in Southern Africa in 2007. – URL : http://www.kas.de/wf/doc/kas_16110-1522-1-30.pdf?110125181323.
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, (2008). Monitoring Regional Integration in Southern Africa Yearbook Volume 8. – URL : http://www.kas.de/wf/doc/kas_16110-1522-1-30.pdf?110125181323.
- United Nations economic Commission for Africa, (2017). History of Africa’s Regional Integration Efforts. – URL : http://www.uneca.org/oria/pages/history-africa%E2%80%99s-regional-integration-efforts.
- Alan Matthews, (2003). Regional Integration and Food Security in Developing Countries (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. – URL : http://www.uneca.org/oria/pages/history-africa%E2%80%99s-regional-integration-efforts.
- Christian Peters-Berries, (2010) Regional Integration in Southern Africa – A Guidebook. – URL : https://www.iaj.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sadc_-_guidebook_for_regional_integration11.pdf.
- An Information Policy Handbook for Southern Africa (2001) editor Tina James, Canada, International Development Research Centre, 2001, p.245.
- Knowledge Societies: Information Technology for Sustainable Development Paperback – June, 1998 by Robin Mansell, Uta Wehn, P. 230-231.
- An Information Policy Handbook for Southern Africa (2001).
- Mansell and Wehn (1998).
- ADF ’99. Paper presented by Derrick Cogburn on «Globalization and the Information Economy: Challenges and Opportunities for Africa». – URL : www.un.org/depts/eca/adf/pub.htm.
- The Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s (DIRCO). – URL : http://www.dirco.gov.za/foreign/Multilateral/africa/sadc.htm